Friday, July 24, 2009





This is probably the worst of the three problem plants I am showing. It is small, fine leaved, and is now choking out pasture land, row crop land, and forests. No animals are known to eat it. It forms a strong mat under the ground and it is full of creosote type compounds that make it burn readily, however burning just kills the top part and the root system keeps on spreading and matting making it almost impossible for other plants to grow. If you have this on your property, you can get rid of small patches with Round Up or similar materials. If it is widespread, I advise you contact your local Extension Agent for assistance. Your local county forestry people will also assist you.
I apologize for the poor pictures, but it is very difficult to photograph this. The leaves are finer than Bermuda grass. It is thought it was brought in as a decorative grass for Bonsai and other miniature garden arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment