Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I don't really know what direction this is going to take me, but I am ready to go on this journey. I may digress from household hints, economy ideas to my own warped political and social commentary. Right now this is a work in progress.
I just completed a prom dress, which I donated to a girl who needed a prom dress. Not totally altruism on my part, but I had started the dress as a surprise for my granddaughter, and it didn't fit, so I finished it and took it to a nearby high school and asked them to find a girl who needed a dress for prom, but didn't have the money to buy one. The economy is very strained here and I really felt the dress would be a boost to a young lady who may never have the opportunity for prom. Besides, I saw no need to waste the cloth.

Today is Tax Day. I don't really like to pay taxes, and am sometimes disenchanted with the way the money is spent, but I also recognize taxes are a necessary evil. I like good roads, good school systems, a strong military, public parks, hurricane warnings, weather notifications, national parks, police protection, fire protection, assistance for those out of work and those who can't always fend for themselves.
If I had my way, Bernie Madoff and his ilk would be sent to the Indian Ocean to fight the pirates with slingshots.
I don't like political "PORK", but I do know that one person's pork is another's worthwhile project that will bring jobs to an area. All the levees on the Mississippi River were FDR's pork. All the Interstate system was started as part of Eisenhower's Defense budget and were labelled total waste of money and effort in the mid-1950's. So, I don't know whether to praise or curse pork. Some has been great over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment