On saving seeds, you may get some VERY INTERESTING things if you save seeds from F1 hybrids. This is what happened when I did that. I saved some seeds from dwarf marigolds, that only get about 6 inches tall. Two or three generations later, when the saved seeds germinated, they grew as if they were on massive doses of steroids. They were two feet tall within a month and looked very strange. I decided to let a few grow. They were finally more than seven feet tall and had a trunk that was about four inches in diameter. They still had the distinctive marigold aroma, but the flowers were little white thingys about 1 inch in diameter and loosely organized. Even though the leaves didn't have the proper shape, and configuration, the plants resembled another Mexican import that is highly illegal. I took them up and destroyed them. After having taught basic Mendelian genetics for more than twenty years, I knew I may get some "interesting" results from planting F1 hybrids, but this result was a little over the top. I don't do F1 marigold seed saving any more.
This goes back to the old premise, "A flower is only a weed that is where we want it and behaves the way we want it to behave"
Friday, May 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment